Sick kids can make parents feel helpless. It takes experience to keep your cool when you have a very sick child.
Thinking about what you might do and preparing NOW can help you cope better with likely medical situations and make recovery easier.
Here are some tips on what to plan for:
- Where are your Medicare cards? Are they up-to-date?
- Does your child have an existing medical condition?
- Do you know where to find your child’s Queensland Health Red Book?
- If your child will need to see another doctor or go to the hospital, do you have your current medication packages to take with you?
- Research the location of your nearest emergency department.
- Practice getting to your hospital emergency department.
- Do you have the phone number of someone to look after your other kids?
- Make notes on your child’s medical conditions: What are they? What dates did the episodes occur? What times did the episodes occur?
- Do you need a translator?