Helping sick kids
As a more experienced parent or carer, you’re probably familiar with taking kids to hospital. But new issues can emerge in the teenage years. Making a plan NOW can help you cope better with likely medical situations and make the best possible choice for treatment.
Here are some tips on what to plan for:
- Where are your Medicare cards? Are they up-to-date?
- Can you speak to your GP about any existing issues?
- Does your child have an existing medical condition?
- Make notes on your child’s medical conditions: What are they? What dates did the episodes occur? What times did the episodes occur?
- If your child will need to see another doctor or go to the hospital, do you have your current medication packages to take with you?
- Research the location of your nearest emergency department.
- Practice getting to your hospital emergency department.
- Do you have the phone number of someone to look after your other kids?